Monday, September 29, 2008

Japaneese Company Announces Space Elevator

I know, I know, I'm way behind on space tourism news. I plan a flurry of posts in the next couple of days to catch up.

It seems the LiftPort Group has some competition! Another group, the Japan Space Elevator Association, has announced that it is in the initial stages of planning a space elevator.

The elevator's cables (presumably made of the same carbon nannotube material that the LiftPort Group plans) will rise out of the atmosphere and cross the 22,000 mile span to a satellite in geosynchronous orbit. The energy required to lift items into space using this telescope is anticipated to be as little as a hundredth of that required to launch a space shuttle. And they only plan to spend a trillion yen to build it.

I couldn't find a lot of information on the Japan Space Elevator Association itself; they don't have an official website that I could find. When I do find more information. I'll write up a full company profile.

Progress: 4.03%  Flight Time: 0:06:05

No comments: